Just a little peak at the things I do...good, bad or boring! :)

Join me on facebook
Check out my shop




Friday, January 25, 2013

feeding my 2 year old

 My son started life as an awful eater.  My first few months with him, on the outside, were insane. My life consisted of feeding (attempting, anyway) and pumping on and off around the clock to try to get him back up to his birth weight.  All this while taking a 5 year old to t-ball and keeping a 3 year old occupied.  He finally caught on and then eventually, caught up.  He turned into a great eater, actually, until recently.


  I suppose in all fairness, I should say that he is still a great eater.  He loves fruits, vegetables and all the other stuff toddlers love.  He just doesn't like to have meals during the day.  Dinner is fine, but he's not keen to sit and have a full breakfast or lunch. And, at this point, I don't even care :)
  My aunt told me that she always used to have to fight with her kids to eat "properly" when they were younger.  Now that they are grown, she finds that they eat just the same way that they had wanted to eat as children.  One, like a bird, another once a day with light snacking and the third, heavy and all the time :)  So, I say, why fight it?


  So, we do snacks all early day long (until his sisters come home from school).  When my middle daughter, who used to eat like a bird, but now eats like a line backer, was a toddler, a nutritionist suggested leaving out tiny portions of food on the table during a 4 hour window and letting her have what she likes when she likes. This was successful and has carried over to Owyn.  I did not think up the ice cube tray thing.  I saw it somewhere (probably Pintrest!) and adopted it.  He loves it. He loves the options and the novelty of the tray. He doesn't always eat it all, but I'm okay with that.



  Today he had crackers, apples, cashews, cauliflower, carrots, snap peas, cheerios, shredded cheese and vanilla yogurt.  I had a quesadilla and a side of snap peas, in case you were wondering :)

No comments:

Post a Comment